The WP ADA Compliance Plugin will identify many issues that would commonly occur on your website. It provides many time saving features that will automatically correct issues in your code. The WP ADA Compliance Plugin should be used along with the WAVE Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool and/or others tools to ensure complete compliance. Review of WC3 standards and some manual verification is required to ensure compliance.
Continue reading to learn how to use the WP ADA Compliance Plugin as part of an overall plan of ADA compliance.
The Web Accessibility requirements continue to evolve and to date not all issues can be identified without manual intervention. For this reason, being 100% accessible is difficult. Focus on continuous improvement. Make a plan, take steps to comply and offer an option for users to request assistance if needed.
We suggest the following:
- conduct a full scan of your website using the WP ADA Compliance Plugin and correct current issues on your website.
- enable automatic scans and notifications under the WP ADA Compliance Plugin settings and correct new issues as they occur. The plugin will also scan posts as they are saved, prompting your users to correct issues as they occur.
- use the WAVE tool by WebAim or associated Chrome plugin to further evaluate your website content, especially the color contrast issues.
- validate the HTML of your web pages using the FREE HTML Validation plugin or the WC3 HTML validation service
- install a link checking plugin, scan and correct any broken links
- automated tools can not identify everything, at this point you may find it necessary to identify a Web Developer who is experienced in Web Accessibility.
- review the WCAG standards so you are aware of the issues.
- complete the manual checks identified under Web Accessibility dashboard menu on your website.
- evaluate your website against the WCAG standards and correct any issues.
- install the free NVDA screen reader and browse your website.
- enable the web accessibility widget included in the WP ADA Compliance Plugin. The widget provides tools, such as font size increase, which your website users may use to increase the accessibility of your website. It also provides a means to implement the next two steps.
- draft an ada compliance policy and publish it on your website. This will make it clear to your users that you care about Web Accessibility and that you are working to comply with the requirements.
- provide an ada compliant online form, email address or phone number for users to report issues that they may encounter.
The plan outlined above is based on the recommendations set forth by the Department of Justice for State and Local websites. Refer to the voluntary action plan section.